Monday, March 5, 2012

This one's from Matt...


Our day started off like every other day so far. We woke up, ate breakfast and met our translator who showed us some amazing parts of the Chinese culture. But about halfway through the day, everything changed for me. We were going through how the next three days will go and it suddenly hit me: we were within 24 hours of meeting Maggie and then taking her with us!

This entire journey has been wildly exciting and amazing for both Shari and I. But the last few hours have been, well, to be honest, scary. I told Shari that this feels exactly like it did when we were sitting outside the hospital with Natalie sitting in our backseat, waiting for us to take her home for the first time. It’s scary! God has entrusted us with another one of his prized creations but this one already has two years of history. He is trusting me with her health, her upbringing, her spiritual direction, her LIFE! This is not something to be taken lightly.

All Maggie has known these first two years of her life are the four walls of her orphanage and the 3-4 women who have raised her. She doesn’t recognize Shari’s voice from being in her womb for nine months. She doesn’t know us. She doesn’t even speak the same language! And now it is Shari and I’s job to help her transition through the fear and confusion that she will be feeling over the next several days (and possibly weeks) and her world takes a radical turn, albeit for the better.

And so, it is in this time of fear/worry that I turn to the passage I quote to Jaydn every time he is afraid: Joshua 1:9. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”

So am I nervous? Yes. But I am also excited. God is the one who started us on this journey and is the one who has taken us this far. And I have complete confidence that He will see us through this phase of our journey as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment